Over the past decade there have been several discussions of issues
relating to the size limit for PARM. The basic problems are:

 1. The field in the SCT is only 100 characters.

 2. While the OS/360 documentation said from day one that any main
    program could be used as a subroutine, some programmers assumed
    that their parameter lists came from the Initiator and were
    limited to a single parameter point to a HW+string that had
    at most 100 characters.

 3. Some programmers used an EX of an MVC with length-1 into a 100
    byte field without checking whether the length exceeded 100 bytes.

While I would argue that the programs mentioned in 2 and 3 are broken,
correcting all of them would be a lot more work then simply identifying
them. Accordingly, I would like to throw a suggestion open for discussion
that I believe will address the various issues that have been raised.

 1. Provide something in the SWA that allows the C/I to pass a large
    PARM string to the Initiator.

 2. Include a table in the C/I containing PARM size limits indexed by
    program name.

 3. Provide for installation extensions and 3rd party extensions to
    the table, preferably driven by PARMLIB.

 4. Provide a default of 32 KiB - 1or 64 KiB - 1for programs not in
    the table, with a facility for the installation to provide a
    smaller default limit.