On 27 Oct 2009 13:15:48 -0700, paulgboul...@aim.com (Paul Gilmartin)
wrote:

>Administrative Assistant: He's out to lunch.  When can he call you back?
>
>[What time zone is Benton Harbor?  UP or LP?  Do they
>observe DST? ... Too much uncertainty.  Simplify!]
>
>gil: I'm about to go to lunch myself.  Can he call me back two
>     hours from now?
>
>[Long pause; imagine neural gears grinding at other end.]
>
>AA:  Errr... What time zone are you in?
>
>[Obvious poor choice of algorithm.]

My son-in-law showed up for a meeting with his boss an hour late in
Seattle, after his Outlook translated the meeting to Rocky Mountain
Time.     That would have worked for a phone meeting, but confusion
exists.

Maybe the best hope to eliminate this confusion in the U.S. is the
acceptance of ESPN time.   When people schedule their time to watch a
live sporting event, it starts to matter to them.   Or follow China
and have one time zone for the whole country.