-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of John P. Baker
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:08 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: big iron mainframe vs. x86 servers

The big advantages of the IBM mainframe architecture have always been
application upward compatibility, I/O throughput, and RAS (reliability,
availability, and serviceability).

<SNIPPAGE>

Give that staggering number of financial transactions processed on a
daily
basis, over 90% of which is done on large-scale IBM mainframes, is it
not
strange that you have never heard of a mainframe virus?  IBM RAS and IBM
Security (whether implemented via IBM RACF, CA ACF/2, CA-Top Secret
Security, or some other External Security manager (ESM)) is what keep
these
systems running.

<SNIPPAGE>

Actually, there are a few of them. I had made the same statement circa
1990, and I was pointed to an experiment that had been done to prove
that an MVS based virus could be accomplished.

One of the reasons for Production Control types to only accept source
and do their own compiles and linkages is to prevent what could be
malicious code from being copied and then infecting a business'
production load libraries.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --