Mike Ross wrote:
<snip>
I can't find ANY doc on restoring the preinstalled system (OS/390 2.4) from tape
(if anyone can point me to some doc specific to this preinstall it would be a
Good Thing), and it's a LONG time since I've done this. So a dumb basic question
for starters: with internal DASD, restoring a totally wiped system, do I have to
run ICKDSF first, or can I go straight to SADSS and restore the volumes?
<snip>

You need to run at least an ICKSADSF minimal INIT before using standalone DFSMSdss to RESTORE anything to a volume that has no volume label. (This has been true since MVS/SP and is still true today.)

If I recall correctly, this requirement is documented in the DFSMSdss book along with the procedure for creating an IPLable copy of standalone DFSMSdss. The procedure for creating the IPLable copy of ICKSADSF is in the DSF book.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing