Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 2, 2009, at 8:31 PM, Mike Ross <m...@corestore.org> wrote:

On 2 Nov 2009 08:37:54 -0800, ee...@us.ibm.com (John Eells) wrote:

Mike Ross wrote:
<snip>
I can't find ANY doc on restoring the preinstalled system (OS/390 2.4) from tape (if anyone can point me to some doc specific to this preinstall it would be a Good Thing), and it's a LONG time since I've done this. So a dumb basic question for starters: with internal DASD, restoring a totally wiped system, do I have to run ICKDSF first, or can I go straight to SADSS and restore the volumes?
<snip>

You need to run at least an ICKSADSF minimal INIT before using
standalone DFSMSdss to RESTORE anything to a volume that has no volume
label.  (This has been true since MVS/SP and is still true today.)

If I recall correctly, this requirement is documented in the DFSMSdss
book along with the procedure for creating an IPLable copy of standalone DFSMSdss. The procedure for creating the IPLable copy of ICKSADSF is in
the DSF book.

Well that worked. Two problems:

1. SADSS says the 3390-2 volume I created isn't big enough to restore the system pack (R1ASP4) - it has something like 08nn cylinders but wants 0Dnn - which
seems too much.

2. I discovered the S/390 is putting out so much interference it stops my fire department pager from receiving calls anywhere in the house! So I think I'll put
the project on ice while I decide what to do.

Mike
--
http://www.corestore.org
'As I walk along these shores