On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:59:50 -0800 Edward Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>
wrote:

:>Bernd Oppolzer wrote:
:>> Maybe the services didn't exist yet when the original code was written?

:>Very likely.

Absolutely.

:>> What do you think of this, is it ok to do it this way? Are there any
:>> drawbacks? Do you have any hints in general? Would you consider
:>> to rewrite significant parts of these subsystems to use the (new?)
:>> services? I don't think that we have the resources to do so at the
:>> moment.

:>SSOB and SSIB contain subsystem names. A hash table is used to locate
:>subsystem control blocks from the name. If a program manually adds
:>subsystem control blocks to the end of the SSCT chain, hash table
:>lookups for that subsystem will fail and require fall-back to sequential
:>lookup resulting in longer path lengths.

The HASH index contained a pointer to the last subsystem in the hash table. If
a directed SSOB was issued, the hash chain was first searched, and if not
found a sequential search was done from the last pre-defined subsystem. The
entire sequence was never searched for a directed SSOB (AFAIR).

http://www.dissensoftware.com