From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Bernd Oppolzer
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 11:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: user-written MVS subsystems

Dear listers,

at my customer's site there are some user-written MVS subsystems,
written in the 80s and 90s. They seem to be very important and are
in production use every day. Now I was asked to take responsibility
for them, because the guy who wrote them will be retired soon.

I started examining the code and observed that he doesn't use the
services described in the books like "Using the Subsystem Interfaces",
Chapter 4, "Writing Your Own Subsystem",
but instead he inserted the control blocks like SSCT and SSVT
using GETMAIN and CS (taking care of parallel writers) and moved
the function code into the CSA using MVCL etc. - all fine code,
but no IEFSSI and other macros anywhere.

Maybe the services didn't exist yet when the original code was written?

What do you think of this, is it ok to do it this way? Are there any
drawbacks? Do you have any hints in general? Would you consider
to rewrite significant parts of these subsystems to use the (new?)
services? I don't think that we have the resources to do so at the
moment.

Kind regards

Bernd