"rr14" <rr14r...@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:<9cc3bbe7-a4df-4b1d-a584-e6db2c599...@w19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>
> Hello All,
>
> Seeking some advice/input.
>
> We are in the process of moving from 3490 to 3592 tapes.
> For most items we have completed and are implementing a transition to
> HSM volumes and then
> using HSM to archive to ML2 tapes.
>
> For our image copies though, the number and size would require us to
> do many HSM tape
> recycles.  Due to the length of time of the recycles, and that they
> would use all of our tape
> drives we would like to come up with a different scenario for the
> image copies.
>
> Our first thought was to put image copies on DASD, but that would
> require over 250 volumes.
> Our second thought was to write to DASD and then archive the contents
> to tape and reuse the
> volumes, and reuse the tapes every 10 days, thus only requiring 25
> volumes, but our DBA says
> the data sets need to remain cataloged.
> Do the image copy data sets have to remain cataloged for DB2 to be
> able to use them?
>
> We are a small shop and do not have the CPU to compress anything, and
> have a small pool of 3592 tapes, thus
> cannot allow jobs to write directly to the tapes.
>
> Virtual Tape products seem to have the same inherent issues as using
> HSM L2 processing.
>
> Does any one have a better idea?
>
> Thanks...Rob

Rob,

First: this newsgroup is a mirror of a listserver and that is where the
majority of the IBM-MAIN population resides and reads the posts. See the
information attached automagically at the bottom how to subscribe.

Second, I don't do DB2 here, but I know a little how what they do.
If I understand you correctly, your main problem is the HSM tape
recycles.

We have DMS (as HSM replacement) and also migrate image copies to ML2
tape, but don't ever recycle them. Our DB2 group has set up a
mechanisme/scheme for imagecopies, that runs periodically and at
regularl intervals also runs whether the data has changed or not. The
main reason is to limit the number of logtapes that must be processed
when recovering from very old imagecopies. For most tablespaces image
copies are taken at least every 2 or 3 weeks and those imagecopies are
given a retention period of 3 or 4 weeks. This means that they all
expire and free up the ML2 tapes automatically within 2 or 3 weeks,
without any need for consolidation/recycle.

Is this mechanisme usable for you?

Kees.
http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee
only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part
of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or
distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or
attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have
received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries
and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal
Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with
registered number 33014286