I can't speak for other virtual tape implementations, but for CA-Vtape
you can define by tape data set name which of a fairly large number of
aggregation groups should be used for the virtual volume.  If you can
correctly categorize the virtual volumes into aggregation groups by how
many days or weeks before they expire, then it is possible to have
aggregation groups where no recycle is needed because all virtual
volumes on a physical tape expire within a few days of each other,
freeing the physical volume.

Like HSM though, you can get so much on a single cartridge that
duplexing should always be used.  If Vtape externalization could occur
at the same time as HSM writing to ML2 or performing backup to tape,
then you are immediately at a requirement for 4 drives, even without
anyone needing to read HSM or virtual tape data.
   J C Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing, Fort Smith, AR        jremoveccapsew...@acm.org