I agree that Enterprise COBOL has the potentiality for excellent code. One
thing lacking that exist for Java, Perl, Ruby, and other such languages is a
HUGE support library. CPAN has so much good stuff in it that writing something
like a browser in Perl is simple. Try it in COBOL. What COBOL needs is
something equivalent to CPAN or the other user and vendor supplied support
routines. I would shudder to try to write a browser in COBOL. Because I would
have to do it ALL myself. And for "browser" substitute any advanced "Internet
aware" functionality. Perhaps RDz (or whatever it's called) has advanced
functionality for COBOL in it. I don't know. But writing a TCP/IP program in
Java is, relatively, simple. It's even easier in other languages.

In terms of the "base" language itself, I can use most anything. OK, on Linux,
I use Perl a LOT. Because I know it and love regular expressions and it's
acceptably easy to use and fast (running and writing). I'm probably one of the
few people who think that APL2 is interesting.

--
John McKown
Systems Engineer IV

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell

<snip>