Cobol Common Business Oriented Language. I have seen some written in
Java. Didn't look that good to me. Hard to understand.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of Steve Comstock
Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 1:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Now is time for banks to replace core system according to
Accenture

McKown, John wrote:
> I agree that Enterprise COBOL has the potentiality for excellent code.

> One thing lacking that exist for Java, Perl, Ruby, and other such
> languages is a HUGE support library. CPAN has so much good stuff in it

> that writing something like a browser in Perl is simple. Try it in
COBOL.
> What COBOL needs is something equivalent to CPAN or the other user and

> vendor supplied support routines. I would shudder to try to write a
> browser in COBOL. Because I would have to do it ALL myself. And for
> "browser" substitute any advanced "Internet aware" functionality.

Wait a minute. Remember I said COBOL is good at what it's designed
for: automating business rules. It was never designed to be a
language for creating a browser or similar application.

That being said, I agree a good support library would be nice to
have. Something richer than the LE library of routines.

As far as "Internet aware" functionality, I've mentioned in the
past you can write COBOL CGIs, and we have a course on how to
do this, including accessing VSAM files and DB2 database data
to display on a website hosted on z/OS, without using WebSphere
or even CICS/TS.

> Perhaps RDz (or whatever it's called) has advanced functionality for
> COBOL in it. I don't know. But writing a TCP/IP program in Java is,
> relatively, simple. It's even easier in other languages.

Again, I don't consider a TCP/IP program to be "business rules". Other
languages are better for that kind of code.

> In terms of the "base" language itself, I can use most anything.
> OK, on Linux, I use Perl a LOT. Because I know it and love regular
> expressions and it's acceptably easy to use and fast (running and
> writing).
 >
> I'm probably one of the few people who think that APL2 is interesting.

I remember the first (only) APL class I attended, when I was still
with IBM. The class challenge was always to solve a lab with a
single APL statement. Pretty bizarre stuff came out of that!

--

Kind regards,

-Steve Comstock
The Trainer's Friend, Inc.

303-393-8716
http://www.trainersfriend.com

   z/OS Application development made easier
     * Our classes include
        + How things work
        + Programming examples with realistic applications
        + Starter / skeleton code
        + Complete working programs
        + Useful utilities and subroutines
        + Tips and techniques

==> Ask about being added to our opt-in list:              <==
==>   * Early announcement of new courses                  <==
==>   * Early announcement of new techincal papers         <==
==>   * Early announcement of new promotions               <==

solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are
intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you
are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying,
information is strictly prohibited.