On 30 Nov 2009 10:46:19 -0800, eamacn...@yahoo.ca (Ted MacNEIL) wrote:

>>They don't actually say it, but it sounds to me like their saying that big
>>banks should get off the mainframe.  ---- comments?
>
>Having worked in the financial sector for most of my career, I would say it's
>a very bad idea.
>Nothing beats the integrity, reliability, and security of mainframe.
>(Of course, I'm biased)

I'm biased too.   Trouble is in comparing apples and oranges.    It
makes sense to me that a server farm that is spread out between New
Orleans and Denver would be more reliable during Katrina than a
mainframe in New Orleans alone.    Reliability of a particular server
in a properly implemented farm should not matter, and I can see a farm
being more reliable for some purposes.

Of course, spreading it around would make security much more
difficult.

I'm not sure what you mean by integrity here.   I suspect you are
referring to issues such as having Google come up with different
matches when queries hit different servers in their farm.     This is
a trade off in getting everybody a quick response instead of going
through one bottleneck.