On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 20:43:30 -0800, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

>configured as (as they call it) "IBM MVS." Should we tell them that the name
>changed about twenty years ago, or should that just be our little secret?

Leave it as it is.

Particularly if customers would be required to rename their profiles
to accommodate.

This is a case where downward compatibility trumps marketing fluff;
akin to embedding version strings in data set names.

Case in point: at OS/390 2.10, "uname -s" returned "OS/390".  Then,
in a colossal blunder, at z/OS 1.1, it changed to reflect the
marketing-motivated name change, the developers not realizing
that the returned value was a programming interface, particularly
for GNU Autoconf.  Things broke.  Users complained.  Fortunately,
IBM listened to reason, and the result string is back to "OS/390".

-- gil