Well we in OMEGAMON have been working on the cpu looping issue lately:

Detecting an address space in an infinite loop is not an easy job.  Our
modern z/OS LPARs often have multiple CPUs and specialty processors like
zIIP and zAAP where instructions can be dispatched.  In addition Workload
Manager will try to distribute processor resources equitably based on the
current workload mix and priorities defined in the installation?s policy.
Lower priority batch workloads that happen to be looping can easily run
under the radar for long periods of time squandering resources.

OMEGAMON XE on z/OS 4.2.0 with the addition of Interim feature 1 has a
strategy to help surface these problems.  OMEGAMON has had a feature
called Bottleneck Analysis for many years.  Bottleneck Analysis builds a
profile over time through periodic sampling of what execution states are
being used by address spaces.  These execution states include things like
Using CPU, Using zIIP, Using zAAP, Waiting for CPU, Waiting for zIIP,
Waiting for zAAP, Using I/O, Waiting for I/O, Waiting for Enqueue, Waiting
for HSM, Swapped, etc.   A cpu looping address space will reveal itself by
populating only the using and waiting states for CPU resources (including
zIIP and zAAP).

OMEGAMON XE on z/OS 4.2.0 has a new attribute called CPU Loop Index that
uses this bottleneck information as its basis.  High priority workloads
can be reliably detected fairly quickly.  The real trick is discriminating
between well behaved low priority work that is just starved for attention
from low priority work that is looping.  OMEGAMON XE on z/OS 4.2.0 Interim
Feature 1 provides this discrimination by dynamically extending the
observation period required before indicating a likely loop when the ratio
of waiting for CPU to Using CPU is high.  For more information on OMEGAMON
XE on z/OS approach to CPU Loop detection please see the article titled
?Detecting CPU looping address spaces using IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE on z/OS
version 4.2.0? in the August issue of the z System Advisor at
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/systemz-advisor/2009-08/.

Joe Winterton
Release Mgr - OMEGAMON - Development Team
919-224-1328 Cell -914-954-0483 - jose...@us.ibm.com