Hi Joe,

Interesting development in Omegamon.
I am still new to Omegamon, but I am going to install V4.2 next month,
how do I check if I have Interim Feature 1, how do I install it?

Kees.

"Joseph H Winterton" <jose...@us.ibm.com> wrote in message
om>...
> Well we in OMEGAMON have been working on the cpu looping issue lately:

> Detecting an address space in an infinite loop is not an easy job.
Our
> modern z/OS LPARs often have multiple CPUs and specialty processors
like
> zIIP and zAAP where instructions can be dispatched.  In addition
Workload
> Manager will try to distribute processor resources equitably based on
the
> current workload mix and priorities defined in the installation?s
policy.
> Lower priority batch workloads that happen to be looping can easily
run
> under the radar for long periods of time squandering resources.
>
> OMEGAMON XE on z/OS 4.2.0 with the addition of Interim feature 1 has a

> strategy to help surface these problems.  OMEGAMON has had a feature
> called Bottleneck Analysis for many years.  Bottleneck Analysis builds
> profile over time through periodic sampling of what execution states
are
> being used by address spaces.  These execution states include things
like
> Using CPU, Using zIIP, Using zAAP, Waiting for CPU, Waiting for zIIP,
> Waiting for zAAP, Using I/O, Waiting for I/O, Waiting for Enqueue,
Waiting
> for HSM, Swapped, etc.   A cpu looping address space will reveal
itself by
> populating only the using and waiting states for CPU resources
(including
> zIIP and zAAP).
>
> OMEGAMON XE on z/OS 4.2.0 has a new attribute called CPU Loop Index
that
> uses this bottleneck information as its basis.  High priority
workloads
> can be reliably detected fairly quickly.  The real trick is
discriminating
> between well behaved low priority work that is just starved for
attention
> from low priority work that is looping.  OMEGAMON XE on z/OS 4.2.0
Interim
> Feature 1 provides this discrimination by dynamically extending the
> observation period required before indicating a likely loop when the
ratio
> of waiting for CPU to Using CPU is high.  For more information on
OMEGAMON
> XE on z/OS approach to CPU Loop detection please see the article
titled
> ?Detecting CPU looping address spaces using IBM Tivoli OMEGAMON XE on
z/OS
> version 4.2.0? in the August issue of the z System Advisor at
> http://www-01.ibm.com/software/tivoli/systemz-advisor/2009-08/.
>
> Joe Winterton
> Release Mgr - OMEGAMON - Development Team
> 919-224-1328 Cell -914-954-0483 - jose...@us.ibm.com
>

> From:
> Hal Merritt <hmerr...@jackhenry.com>
> To:
> IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Date:
> 12/07/2009 09:48 AM
> Re: Detect the loop for batch job
> Sent by:
> IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu>
>

> All programs 'loop'. It is what they do.
>
> About the only automated solution I can think of would be to set a CPU

> time limit.

http://www.klm.com. This e-mail and any attachment may contain
confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee
only. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part
of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed, copied or
distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or
attachment is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have
received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, and delete this message.

Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij NV (KLM), its subsidiaries
and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or
incomplete transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor
responsible for any delay in receipt.
Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij N.V. (also known as KLM Royal
Dutch Airlines) is registered in Amstelveen, The Netherlands, with
registered number 33014286