On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:43:12 -0600, Mark Zelden
<mark.zel...@zurichna.com> wrote:

>The LDA contains what the sizes are, but I've never updated those
>control blocks directly via IEFUSI.
>
>FWIW,  I look at the GDA and for  below 16M set region limit to "ALL-512K"
and
>region size to "ALL-64K".    There is no real reason to reserve LSQA above.
>Whatever isn't in use for extended private can be used for LSQA.  When
>those 2 boundaries hit each other is when your address space will die.

Mark, thanks for chiming in - I'm glad I held off.  I should probably not have
ask this, but programming IEFUSI to reserve ELSQA was something ingrained
long ago, and I just took it for granted.

So, it's not what the REGION is, it's what is GETMAIN'd in total during
execution?  I ask because we recently decided to bump the ELSQA reserve for
our CICS regions, but in light of this, I don't see any benefit.  I know CICS
manages its own memory (DSA/EDSA), though I'm not as familiar with *how*.

Interesting how different this is from below-the-line...

By the way, I had an ETR discussion quite some time ago with IBM (I may be
able to find it in my archives), in which I recall we're not supposed to alter
LDA.  In fact, that's what I use to obtain available REGION.  I thought about
using GDA, but do not recall why the rep steered me away from it...

Though LDAESIZ will not completely protect against EPRIVAT and ELSQA
running into each other, we do use it to try to buffer against the large VL
GETMAIN.  Do you do this, or is it "let the user beware"?  Just curious here...

Thanks,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company