Hi Folks,

I just came up with a solution to a nagging problem if you want to change the default number of Global Notices produced by the ACCOUNT/SYNC combination when you are initializing a SYS1.BRODCAST dataset, or any active Broadcast Dataset. Normally the number is a fullword in the 4 bytes of the IKJEBLMT csect of module IKJEFXSR. Then you need an IPL for it to take effect. The reason for the IPL is that the actual number used by ACCOUNT/SYNC is in the CVT at +X'5A8' and it is a fullword there - not chained or anything. It is just a fullword in the CVT, and that is the number that ACCOUNT/SYNC honors. The IPL is just to initialize the CVT field. (I'd be VERY interested in hearing the history of who designed this arrangement, and why.)

This makes the number very easy to instantly change, using an APF-authorized TSO command that would just go in and change it. I have come up with such a command, called BDMNNOTC, and I have put it on the Updates page of www.cbttape.org, File 816. IBM does not recommend using numbers greater than 1000, and I don't either, but I did experiment with larger numbers, and they appear to work, if they are only moderately larger, and the BROADCAST Dataset is large enough to accommodate the big number of Notices records.

Of course we could make a SHARE requirement for IBM to make an operator command to effect this change. It should be very easy to do the programming. But I did not want to wait for IBM, and so I came up with this easy solution for all of us, if we are ever working with creating a new BRODCAST dataset and we need more Notices than 100 (the shipped default).

   Good luck.  I hope you all like it!!!

Sincerely,    Sam