Thanks Rob, Chris and Binyamin for your comments. I've learnt a lot from them.

A couple of questions for the panel:

Chris, you said that:

"Using AX=1 and SSAR to another address space is not very clearly documented by IBM because it is a violation of the MVS xmemory architecture".
This comes as a surprise, as I've seen this used in many different programs.
Setting AX=1 will certainly allow you to access any address space's memory, but
unless you have another TCB needing to AXSET to something other than 1, I can't
see how this may not work, or could cause difficulties. Can you give more
details?

You also said that using ASC mode doesn't remove the need for the target address space to be swapped in. Short of a paging error, what could go wrong here?
Binyamin, you've suggested grabbing the LOCAL lock when the SSAR succeeds. Why
do you suggest this?

Thanks again for your comments.

David

David Stephens
Lead Systems Programmer
d...@longpelaexpertise.com.au
www.longpelaexpertise.com.au <http://www.longpelaexpertise.com.au/images/logo.gif>

Longpela Expertise - System z Mainframe Consultants
Read new expert Mainframe articles every quarter in our LongEx Mainframe Quarterly <http://www.longpelaexpertise.com.au/ezine>

Binyamin Dissen wrote:
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 15:52:59 -0600 Chris Craddock <crashlu...@gmail.com>