So, to summarize:

If there is an indexed VTOC and you want it turned OFF, code the following:

//STEP1    EXEC PGM=ICKDSF,PARM='NOREPLYU'
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//VTOC     DD  UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=SER=xxxxxx,DISP=OLD,
//             DSN=SYS1.VTOCIX.xxxxxx
//SYSIN    DD  *
 BUILDIX DDNAME(VTOC) OSVTOC

If there is an indexed VTOC that is off and you want it turned ON, code the
following:

//STEP1    EXEC PGM=ICKDSF,PARM='NOREPLYU'
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//VTOC     DD  UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=SER=xxxxxx,DISP=OLD,
//             DSN=SYS1.VTOCIX.xxxxxx
//SYSIN    DD  *
 BUILDIX DDNAME(VTOC) IXVTOC

If there is no indexed VTOC and you want it allocated and turned on, code the
following:

//STEP1    EXEC PGM=ICKDSF,PARM='NOREPLYU'
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//VTOC     DD  UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=SER=xxxxxx,DISP=(,KEEP),
//             DSN=SYS1.VTOCIX.xxxxxx,SPACE=(TRK,30,,CONTIG)
//SYSIN    DD  *
 BUILDIX DDNAME(VTOC) IXVTOC

Finally, if there is an indexed VTOC and you want it turned OFF *and* DELETED,
code the following:

//STEP1    EXEC PGM=ICKDSF,PARM='NOREPLYU'
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//VTOC     DD  UNIT=SYSDA,VOL=SER=xxxxxx,DISP=OLD,
//             DSN=SYS1.VTOCIX.xxxxxx
//SYSIN    DD  *
 BUILDIX DDNAME(VTOC) OSVTOC PURGE