McKown, John wrote:

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that you need z/OS 1.4 maintenance
just to install z/OS 1.7? That sounds very strange to me. Most of the
time, any maintenance required is to tolerate or co-exist so that you
can share things like catalogs. I simply cannot imagine needing any PTFs
just to __install__ z/OS 1.7. Of course, I am not the final arbiter.
Perhaps somebody else (John Eells) will speak up?
<snip>

There are PTF requirements for installing z/OS R7. Indeed, there are usually driving system PTF requirements for installing z/OS.

You can find them in z/OS Planning for Installation topic 3.2, "Identifying driving system software requirements for installing z/OS or z/OS.e using ServerPac or dump-by-data-set SystemPac," and any additional ones listed in the PSP bucket.

For using z/OS R4 as the driving system for installing z/OS R7, there is an atypically long list of required PTFs (73 listed in P4I) because the CustomPac Dialog used to install ServerPacs was recompiled using the new PL/I compiler (in R6, IIRC), and that pulled in a lot of required Language Environment PTFs. Contrast this with z/OS R6, for which P4I lists just one PTF.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing