that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

paulgboul...@aim.com (Paul Gilmartin) writes:
> So that's where CMS got that idea.  But z/OS device independence is eroding.
> Why are there TPUT/TGET/PUTLINE/GETLINE (whatever) rather than just doing
> QSAM I/O to SYSTSPRT and SYSTSIN?  And I'm dismayed at the number of z/OS
> utilities that balk at "DD PATH=...", not because their QSAM calls couldn't
> perfectly well handle it, but merely because they're afraid to try.

a lot of CMS design reflects CTSS heritage. CMS then adopted a lot of
os/360 applications ... and therefor had to do a layer of OS/360
simulation (especially for assembler and compilers).

more information ... cp67/cms version 3 (oct70) users guide:
http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/360/cp67/GH20-0859-0_CP67_Version_3_Users_Guide_Oct70.pdf

os macros .... pg 294

Later after the moph to vm370/cms (and cambridge monitor system renamed
conversational monitor system) ... there was some amount of DOS
simulation also added.  There was also some joke about CMS 32kbyte
os/360 simulation code ... did almost as good as the 8mbyte mvs os/360
simulation code.

The biggest change from cp67/cms to vm370/cms ... was reorging the
kernel with application program loading at x'12000' to take advantage of
(original) 370 (64k) r/o shared segment support. Application programs
then were moved to starting at x'20000' ... and cms kernel "shared code"
moved to start at segment boundary at x'10000' (segment 0 was then data
and non-shared code ... since virtual page zero couldn't be shared, and
therefor virtual segment 0 couldn't be shared).

however, all the effort came to *NOT* ... before the full 370 virtual
memory architecture could be announced and shipped ... retrofitting the
full 370 virtual memory architecture to 370/165 ran into all sorts of
problems. 165 petitioned for dropping several features to gain back a
lot of the schedule; and one of the things dropped was 370 r/o shared
segment support. that forced m370 to quickly come up with a quick&dirty
hack using storage protection keys ... to simulate the original 370
virtual memory r/o segment protect.

with the addition of dos simulation ... for running dos programs in cms
... there then had to be option to specify whether non-cms service
requests went thru os simulation or dos simulation ... aka "set dos on"
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zvm/v5r4/topic/com.ibm.zvm.v54.dmsa5/hcsd2b00514.htm

in the wake of demise of FS and the head of POK convincing corporate to
kill vm370, shutdown the burlington development group and moving all the
people to POK (justification was that otherwise wouldn't be able to make
mvs/xa ship schedule) .... there was joke that head of POK was major
contributor to vax/vms (i.e. the people that didn't move to pok ... but
went to DEC to work on vax/vms); endicott eventually was able to obtain
the vm370 product mission ... but had to reconstitute the organization
from scratch.

the issue here was that one of the people in burlington (that didn't
move to pok) had done a pretty complete os disk i/o routines for os disk
r/w, vtocs, handle most kinds of files, understood and could process
PDS, etc (aka wasn't os/360 file simulation in cms filesystem, but
supported full os/360 operation on os/360 disks). All of that
evaporated/disappeared with the shutdown of burlington development
group.

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970