On 5 Jan 2010 14:08:59 -0800, pgil...@pc-link.com.au (Paul Gillis)
wrote:

>I used Jol from 1970 through 1988 and was very happy with it, then
>when I changed jobs I had to relearn JCL. Jol certainly provided much
>of what has been discussed here since the early 70s.
>Never tried a parm greater than 100 bytes, wonder if that would work.
>Probably no reason why it couldn't if the target program was able to
>cope with it.

I used a beta version of an Amdahl operating system called Aspen,
running under VM.    It was powerful and programmers loved it.    But
it sometimes had performance problems - after all it was beta.

I don't know if it was IBM that wanted to stick with JCL.   IBM seemed
to want to go more Rexx.    But customers seemed more resistant to
change even than IBM.     Too bad, as the mind set isn't to consider
the power of IBM mainframes in these distributed Unix environments
companies are moving to.