________________________________
From: Rick Fochtman <rfocht...@ync.net>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Fri, January 8, 2010 2:14:13 PM
Subject: Re: Subject:  Re: VTOC Fmt6

------------------------------<snip>-------------------------------
---------------SNIP---------------------------------
> I strongly disagree
> Quality of IBM documentation is very good - especially when compared to ISV's
> doco. It's obviously not perfect, there better and worse documents - no
> doubt. But overall quality is good in my humble opinion.

----------------------------------<unsnip>--------------------------------
I'm glad you qualified it. "Overall quality" is admittedly good, but there are
some gaping holes. Especially in the TCP/IP message area.

Rick

Rick of course you are quite correct. The newer portions of Z/os like OE and
TCP/IP/COBOL are horrendously documented. I like to think IBM will improve
(someday) on these components but  is they haven't done it in 10 years we
should all point out that documentation is terrible. Yes I know the COBOL
finally put out a M&C but IBM's denial for so long that it needs one is totally
unnatural (at least to me).

IIRC it took the combined effort of GUIDE/SHARE to pester IBM into better doc.
Maybe its time to renew the request?

Ed