p...@voltage.com (Phil Smith) writes:
> I've heard of the "YES" cards, and I assume they exist, but they're
> not the norm yet -- cloned magstripes are. So for now, at least,
> chip-and-pin is more secure.

misc. past posts mentioning "YES CARD":
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#71 Korean bank Moves back to Mainframes
(...no, not back)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#73 Korean bank Moves back to Mainframes
(...no, not back)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#93 Korean bank Moves back to Mainframes
(...no, not back)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010.html#95 Korean bank Moves back to Mainframes
(...no, not back)

chipcards have countermeasures for some random person taking a valid
chip and extracting the necessary information ... a random person can
copy magstripe information significantly easier.

however, by at least the early 90s, there were cases of compromised
end-points recording valid information (done during the process of valid
transactions). these operations tended to be more large scale wholesale
operations ... getting information for tens of thousand (or millions)
... rather than a few tens.

in the end-point compromises ... the process was esssentially identical
for recording magstripe information and recording chipcard
authentication information (for "YES CARD" exploit).

along the way, the criminals added wireless and other remote procedures
for retrieving the skimmed/recorded information (again, little or no
difference between magstripe and chipcard).

part of the issue in the US was that there was fairly large scale
chipcard deployment in the time-frame of cartes2002 (presentation on
"yes card" and the "yes card" presentations at the ATM integrity task
force meetings) ... and then evaporated w/o a trace (which may have also
created some reluctance to try again).

--
40+yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970