Don,

I dug out these old recommendations from Greg Dyck. Note that he shoots down
my "is 30% a myth idea."

                - Individual local page datasets should not exceed 30% (or
25% if you choose) utilization because the contigious slot allocation
algorithm becomes inefficient/unsuccessful for that dataset.  The
utilization% at a total paging subsystem level is irrelevent with respect to
the algorithms.

                - All local page datasets should be the same size (or close
to it in slots) and device type because of ASMs round robin allocation
algorithm.  If one page dataset has 12000 slots and another has 24000 the
utilization% on the second will be about 1/2 of the first.

                - Paging bandwidth is as important as paging space.
Converting 9 page datasets to 3 page datasets of triple size will probably
impact performance. More smaller page datasets is always better over fewer
large page datasets.

                - A volume should only have a single local page dataset on
it, and no other datasets.  Use of WLM managed PAVs by ASM can be used to
eliminate this restriction.  Depending on the actual storage subsystem
backing a page dataset it may or may not be reasonable to have multiple
systems using a volume with a page dataset on it.

The archives don't go back further than 2005, but I am sure I recall Greg
had posted several years ago the optimum number of Locals starts at eight.

Ron

Behalf Of