volume whether from the same and/or different LPARs.  In fact, if you are using
the DS8000 feature to stripe volumes across RAID groups, then each 1113
cylinder segment of the volumes will be on a different RAID group.

>>> Don Williams <donb...@gmail.com> 1/21/2010 1:18 PM >>>
We only have four "DASD" FICON channels from each z10 (2). So all LCUs share
the same eight channels (four from each processor). Each FICON channel can
handle multiple concurrent I/O's (FICON handles eight concurrent
operations?). I don't know how many concurrent I/Os a DS8000 LCU can handle.
Would it be 64 (2 processors x 4 channels/processor x 8 operations/channel)
or some lesser number? If it 32/processor, then what I am worrying about?

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Ron Hawkins
Sent: Thursday, January 21, 2010 12:05 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: PAGE datasets -- few large or more small

Don,

At a guess you probably have eight channels per LCU, and your volumes are
configured on RAID-5 with 6+P+S or 7+P. In terms of potential parallel IO
that makes eight locals look really good as a starting point for handling
your peaks.

If you have more paths and array groups then you can always have more than
eight locals. You can use Custom Sized Volumes to allocate many, small
volumes for Locals, or with Dynamic PAV you can put many small locals on one
volume - one volume still has eight channels and 7 or eight underlying HDD.

Note that the number of HDD is important for Page-ins, as they are usually
cache misses. EMC and HDS customers can use Permacache or FlashAccess to
create cache-locked Page Datasets for better-than-Flashdrive paging
performance.

Ron

CONFIDENTIALITY/EMAIL NOTICE: The material in this transmission contains
confidential and privileged information intended only for the addressee.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please be advised that you have received
this material in error and that any forwarding, copying, printing,
distribution, use or disclosure of the material is strictly prohibited.  If you
have received this material in error, please (i) do not read it, (ii) reply to
the sender that you received the message in error, and (iii) erase or destroy
the material. Emails are not secure and can be intercepted, amended, lost or
destroyed, or contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if
you communicate with us by email. Thank you.