Pawel,

For a regular DSORG=PS dataset DFSORT and SYNCSORT use their own access
method to read and write the SORTIN and SORTOUT using very efficient long
chained Start Sub-Channels. The EXCP count reported for these datasets is
the Start SubChannel count.

For DSORG=PS-E the sort products will use BSAM to read and write the SORTIN
and SORTOUT datasets. BSAM on Extended Format Datasets can be efficient if
you increase BUFNO and NCP, but the default of five is not the worst thing
that can happen. More importantly the EXCP count reported for these datasets
is the Block Count, and not the SSCH count. These are usually mult-Cyl
chains.

One of the few problems with Extended Format datasets is that the block
chaining defaults are lousy. This is probably why your job is taking longer
with compression. BSAM, and QSAM, always use double buffering, so whatever
you specify is halved for chaining. I suggest that you add DCB=NCP=n to your
SORTIN and SORTOUT, where n=16 times number of stripes.

If you want to check the actual IO count look at the SSCH count in the SMF
Type 46 subtype 6 records.

One last thing is make sure that your SORTIN is compressed and buffered so
you get the benefit at the start and end of the SORT.

Ron

Behalf Of
> Pawel Leszczynski
> Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 2:56 AM
> To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
> Subject: [IBM-MAIN] why compression costs additional I/O?
>
> Hello everybody,
> Recently we are reviewing our EndOfDay jobs looking for potential
performance
> improvements (reducing CPU/elapsed time).
> We have several jobs sorting big datasets where output is SMS-compressible
> (type: EXTENDED) datasets.
> When we compare such sorting with sorting on non-compressible output we
> can see this:
>                                              EXCP   TCB   SRB   el.time
> TESTXWP5       STEP110     00   757K   3.51    .70    9.01 <-- w/o
compression
> TESTXWP5       STEP120     00  1462K   3.62  2.89  10.45 <-- w. compresion
>
> We guess that big SRB in (2) goes for compression (that we understand - we
> probably quit compression at all), but we don't understand 2 times bigger
EXCP