Peter,

Yes for your example I am recommending NCP=96, which means BUFNO=96. I
habitually put both NCP and BUFNO on BSAM files because I've never been sure
if BSAM calculates BUFNO using the NCP value from JCL.

Many years ago I tested this to death on uncached DASD and found that
BUFNO/NCP of 16 was the point of diminishing return for QSAM and BSAM. While
I don't think these double buffer by design like EFS I think it fit well
with the chain length limit of eight blocks with BSAM and QSAM.

I should revisit this as a study on FICON and Cached DASD as it is likely
that the knee in the curve happens at eight buffers now as I've noticed CPU
intensive utilities like IEBDG writing short chains when volumes are
SIMPLEX, and full chains when TrueCopy synchronous delays are added with
DUPLEX. It suggests to me that 16 is still a good number for when IO is
delayed. Thirty-one would be something I would recommend for BUFND on a VSAM
file with half track CISZ, but I don't think it does any harm on DSORG=PS.

As far as I recall BSAM and QSAM for PS-E does not have the same SSCH data
length and #CCW restrictions as PS, and media manager is probably limited to
a CYL. I'd only wish I had time to research this as a "science project"
right now, but at the moment I can only offer past experience with a
spattering of senior moments.

Ron

Behalf Of