In <listserv%201001280858249055.0...@bama.ua.edu>, on 01/28/2010
   at 08:58 AM, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> said:

>My naive understanding of the OS/360 multiprocessing

ITYM multiprogramming.

>paradigm is that when one unit of work WAITs, another
>is dispatched.  How does CICS manage to subvert this?

It doesn't, any more than JES2 does. What you're missing is that CICS
dispatches multiple transactions within a single z/OS unit of work, just
like the JES2 main task does.

>What happens when a CICS transaction must do something
>like:
>    Invalid PIN number; please re-enter

The transaction uses CICS services, and CICS (not z/OS) suspends the
transaction until the input is available.

>Well, there's nonblocking I/O.  But what do you do if the
>pipe isn't ready?

You let CICS handle the I/O in a separate task and the wait doesn't cause
any problems.