>Gee, you do I/O, you wait ... [snip]

Sure. I don't know if there is a CICS service to do I/O
to some non-CICS dataset, or if it was simply tolerated.
Actually, a wait only affects other transactions in the
same CICS region as the will have to wait, too. I remember
that in the early releases of OpenEdition / OS/390 UNIX
CICS and IMS both stated that they do not allow UNIX
services from within transactions because teh waits that
could result.

No matter whether waits are allowed or tolerated there is
big differece between a transaction doing an I/O to some
dataset or UNIX file and a transaction doing an I/O to
some named pipe. In the later case there is a second
*independent* process involved. And this process might
run or not when the CICS transacion does its I/O (to the
pipe). Long waits may result and this must be acceptable
to the transaction's purpose.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse