A few years ago, inspired by a beverage wager, I allocated a large PDSE,
FB-256,  and started using it to store output listings. Every day it would
accumulate about 300 output files.

  After I accumulated about 2K members I decided to make it interesting.  I
wrote up a sort job that read a test file then wrote multiple output members
to this PDSE.  I kept adding DD cards to hasten collecting on the beverage.
At its peak my sort job wrote 10,000 members in one pass.  I kept rerunnig
this job, changing the output member name, always adding members at the
front of the file.  I kept this up for a few weeks, can't remember the final
number of members, but my colleague paid up.

We never did experience any problems and we did spot check the data from
time to time.

P.S. Belated thanks to Frank Yeager and his DF/SORT web site for the
inspiration to create a lot of records with incrementing sequence numbers.
I used this technique to generate 10,000 DD cards and a like number of
OUTFIL OUTREC statements.  When I have some (more)time to goof around I'll
try this again to see how large a number of output members I can write in 1
passm maybe 32K for grins.  There's probably some limit on DD cards that I
can't recall at the moment.