>I'm not trying to teach you how to suck eggs. I know you've had this problem
>for a few years now.
I didn't think you were. :-) But since I am kinda in awe of anyone who
understands hardware (which I don't), I just wanted to make sure were talking
about the same thing.

>> PDSE1_BUFFER_BEYOND_CLOSE(YES)
>That is what I am talking about. The beyond close values are 15 minutes. If
>the member is not opened after that it is discarded from PDSDE cache. Your
>finding that it does not work.
It doesn't work in the first 15 minutes, as in PF3 out of the directory view in
ISPF, then back in. Wait again for more than a minute.

>I get it. There's no JCL or facility to add buffering.
Yes, but given this discussion, I'll probably contact the head developer for FA
(in Australia) and let him know about this. I believe that they are changing
the
design of how they want do things (for several reasons), so they might as well
keep this in mind, too. FA is on the receiving end of the PDSE inadequacies.

>I'm interested to know what do you have specified for the two HiperSpace
>sizes, Directory Storage, and what is the MSR value for the STORCLAS of this
>PDSE?
Puh, how do I go about finding this out? If any of this is specified in the
IGDSMS member, then we take whatever default IBM set. And these things
apparently don't *have* storage class, management class or dataclass. I just
tested, and they end up on hte volumes they do because I manually put them
there way back when. :-(
Should I try to get anything changed here?

>Earlier you mentioned storage cache. Have you looked at the SMF Type 42_6
>records for the PDS-E to see where the IO is spending it's time? It sounds
>to me like a fragmented directory in this PDS-E could be causing some
>cache-defeating skip IO. The SMF record could give some guidance on
>whether
>you can benefit from loading the PDS-E into cache with HDS Cache Residency
>Manager(CRM) or EMC Permacache. I don't recall what storage you have, but
>if it is HDS then CRM and the Host software are included with the basic
>product.
EMC. And no, I haven't done any checking into this yet. But thanks for the
pointers on where to get started. (After all, since I am the SAS wizard around
here, it shouldn't be too hard to get reports out of SMF. How to actually
*interpret* them is a different matter!)

>The Type 14/15 records also have actual PDSE buffer usage statistics. This
>would at least tell you if PDSE buffering is doing anything.
May I contact you off-list to pick your brain about whatever I find out from
SMF?

Best regards, Barbara