> What affects the speed of transfer besides the size of the pipe?
> How important is the size of the data block on each PUT?

1. What is the connectivity? VPN over satellite has one set of tradeoffs;
direct Ethernet another.

2. Is there really *that* much data? A megabyte or two every couple of hours
is not going to be a problem no matter how you do it (within reason).

The best form of "compression" might be to restrict the data to only what
the recipient needs, and to transmit it in a more compact form than
character. But maintainability/debugability is often more important than
absolute speed.

Charles