On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:08:22 +0000, Ted MacNEIL wrote:

>>"zip" format may not be decompressable by all products that claim "zip"
>>compatibility and there may be differences in the implementation on different
>>hosts).
>> Of course there may also be translation issues to work out too.
>
>May. May! May?
>
>Do you have any specifics?
>
>I've worked at many shops using variouse ZIP products.
>
>There were few, if any, issues.
>
>You test things.
>You don't rely on 'may'.

Lately, zipping tools have mostly settled on the "Deflate"
codec as a de-facto standard.  Even gunzip will extract
zip archives containing exactly one file and using
Deflate.  Older tools may use older techniques, and
even mix techniques depending on data statistics (most
frequently, in the archive TOC, you see a mixture of
"deflated" and "stored").

So, even testing doesn't protect absolutely against that
idiosyncratic data set that triggers a different codec.

I know no zip tool that lets the programmer direct the
selection of codec.

-- gil