that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

"John Crane" <john_crane...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Someone actually keeps their email from 1978?
>
> You should write a book on leading an organized life!

some bits & pieces from some archive
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html

problem is that the archive prior to 77 was lost when the almaden
datacenter had operational problem with their tape library and
random tapes were being mounted for scratch. only a trivial
few things prior to 77 survived for random reasons ... a couple
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email731212
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750102
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#email750430

for other topic drift ... I remember being in Paris in early 70s doing a
HONE clone install as part of EMEA hdqtrs move from the states to Paris
... and having a really difficult time getting electronic/network
connection back to the states to read email.

I had gotten blamed for computer conferencing on the internal network in
the late 70s and early 80s. internal network was larger than
arpanet/internet from just about the beginning until possibly sometime
late 85 or early 86 ... some past posts
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#internalnet

Part of that computer conferencing activity came to be called "tandem
memos". The company then had a "task force" to investigate the phenomena
... including bringing in outside "experts". I remember two of the
outside experts brought in to participate were the authors of
"The Network Nation" ... reference here:
http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=8903

Somewhat as result there was also a researcher paid to sit in the back
of my office for 9months taking notes on how I communicated, they also
went with me to meetings. They got copies of all my incoming and
outgoing email as well as logs of all instant messages.  The result was
a research report ... also a Stanford PHD thesis and the material
for a number of papers and books. somewhat related posts on computer
mediated communication
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subnetwork.html#cmc

One of the books
http://www.powells.com/biblio?PID=24750&cgi=product&isbn=0582071313

some past posts referring to the troubles in the almaden datacenter
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#57 Whom Do Programmers Admire Now???
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003e.html#66 History of project maintenance tools
-- what and when?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003i.html#13 A Dark Day
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003j.html#45 Hand cranking telephones
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003m.html#12 Seven of Nine
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004b.html#59 A POX on you, Dennis Ritchie!!!
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2005i.html#30 Status of Software Reuse?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#7 Mount a tape
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006w.html#42 vmshare
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007l.html#51 Scholars needed to build a computer
history bibliography
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2007u.html#29 Folklore references to CP67 at
Lincoln Labs
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#8 Is SUN going to become x86'ed ??
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009.html#13 Is SUN going to become x86'ed ??
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009d.html#4 Why do IBMers think disks are 'Direct
Access'?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009n.html#66 Evolution of Floating Point
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2009s.html#17 old email
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#51 Source code for s/360
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010b.html#96 "The Naked Mainframe" (Forbes
Security Article)

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970