that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

"John Crane" <john_crane...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Someone actually keeps their email from 1978?
>
> You should write a book on leading an organized life!

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#65 Adventure - Or Colossal Cave Adventure

in the late 70s I had done cmsback that was then deployed at several
internal locations ... a couple old email mentioning CMSBACK
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/lhwemail.html#cmsback

and various posts mentioning cmsback, backup, and/or archive:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/submain.html#backup

one of the problems in the almaden instance ... was that I had copied
old 70s archive tapes (including some stuff dating back to when I was an
undergraduate in the 60s) to newer media and even made multiple copies
... but those tapes were in the general tape library ...  and weren't in
the cmsback infrastructure.

cmsback went thru some internal evoluation and then had some
enhancements added to also support client backup and was released as
"workstation datasave" product. In the troubles in the early 90s when it
looked like the corporation might be split up into pieces ... and the
disk division logo'ed as ADSTAR ... "workstation datasave" was
repositioned as ADSM (ADSTAR Distributed Storage Management). When they
were selling off san jose ... ADSM got transferred and relogo'ed TSM:
http://www.almaden.ibm.com/StorageSystems/projects/tsm/

one of the funny things is that TSM now bears little evidence of its
vm/cms (cmsback) heritage.

WDSF reference (prior to being repositioned as ADSM):
http://www.slac.stanford.edu/exp/e154/how_to_archive.html

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970