On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:17:29 -0500, Mark Jacobs wrote:

>>> You may want to look into handling the ENQs yourself and not let SVC99 do
>>> them.  Look at S99FLAG2 bit S99NORES.  This tells SVC99 to not do the
>>> ENQ/DEQ.
>>
>> Unless I'm missing something, I hope this facility isn't
>> available to nonauthorized callers.
>
>You are correct it's not.

Still, I'm trying to imagine what even an authorized program
could usefully and safely do with a data set allocated with
no ENQ, given that absent that ENQ any other program, even
unauthorized, could make that data set, all its extents, and
its DSCBs vanish without warning.

Perhaps with a reserve on the VTOC(s)?

-- gil