From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of john gilmore
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:02 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Best practice for 24-bit storage in assembler called from C/C++

You will need several DXDs and a single CXD.

This machinery was devised originally for PL/I, but its use outside PL/I is
fully supported by both the HLASM and the Linker.

That said, the best documentation for it is in the old PL/I Optimizing
Compiler manuals.  (The PL/I Optimizing Compiler was not OCO; the current,
Enterprise compiler  is.)

If you can get your hands on either an old Program Logic Manual, usually
referred by its obvious acronym, as a PLM, or only a little less
satisfactory, an old Execution Logic Manual, usually referred to for
consistency as just an EL, for this compiler you will find lucid
explanations of their implementation and use in either or both.

The absence of this facility from C--Dennis Ritchie did not understand what
controlled storage was for--is the reason for all the ugliness of multiple
copies of writable static in C.

John Gilmore Ashland, MA 01721-1817 USA

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/201469229/direct/01/