Neel,

>ps.  my plan without much detail : DB2 StoGroup, Guaranteed SC,
>quiesced volume(s) in same SG as normal.
My experience with DB2 stogroup specifying real volsers and guaranteed
space=yes was that all datasets allocated would go to the first volume until
the allocation would exceed the high allocation threshold. You would be much
better off leaving DB2 table spaces outside of SMS or have only an asterisk for
the volser in the stogroup and let SMS scatter the datasets around for you.
There would be no harm in hand placing the holy cow(s) and letting SMS handle
the other 95%+ DB2 table spaces.
Regards,
John