that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

chrisma...@belgacom.net (Chris Mason) writes:
> If it's a 360 Model 40, there are some nice tactile switches it's a pleasure
> flip on the front of the machine.
>
> If it's a 360 Model 30 there are some tacky dials on the front of the machine.
>
> I'm afraid those were the only two models with *core* with which I ever got
> to play - and change data in storage!

some front panels
http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/3-1.htm
http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/FAA9020.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM360-65-1.corestore.jpg
http://ibmcollectables.com/gallery/FabriTek65/HPIM0775
http://ibmcollectables.com/gallery/FabriTek65/HPIM0769_001
http://ibmcollectables.com/gallery/FabriTek65/HPIM0771

I got to play a lot with both 360/30 and then a 360/67 (front panel of
65 & 67 were essentially the same).

there was an incident with 370 before virtual memory was announced where
some virtual memory documents leaked to the press. there was a
"watergate-like investigation" ... and then they went around putting
serial numbers on the underside of the glass in all corporate copy
machines ... so all copied pages would carry the serial of the copy
machine that the copy was made on.

for Future System ... there was an idea to do softcopy "DRM" to minimize
the leakage of documents. The vm370 development group did a extra secure
version of vm370 that was used inside the corporation for future system
documents (only be able to "read" them on 3270 display).

One weekend, I had some dedicated machine time scheduled in the vm370
development group machine room ... and stopped by friday afternoon to
make sure everything was prepared. they took me into the machine room
... and made some reference that even I if I was left alone in the
machine room, I wouldn't be able to access the FS documents.

It was just a little too much, i made sure the machine was disabled for
all terminals for login ... and then did a one-byte patch to kernel
memory ... and then everything was available (aka the one-byte was in
the password checking routine ... so that regardless of what was typed
in, it would be accepted as valid password).

i made some reference to the only countermeasure (for somebody with
physical access) is completely disabling all mechanisms for compromising
the operation of the system.

--
42yrs virtualization experience (since Jan68), online at home since Mar1970