In <022901cab4a7$a821dc90$f86595...@org>, on 02/23/2010
   at 08:45 AM, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> said:

>FOO DXD F
>BAR DC  Q(FOO)

>does that give me a fullword that will be "task-unique" at run time?

No. But if in the same load module you do the above and Joe does

 MYFOO DXD A
 MYBAR DC  Q(MYFOO)

then BAR and MYVAR will have different contents. In really old PL/I
compilers IBM put the Q-cons in the offset fields of instructions,
limiting the PRV to 4096 bytes.

>Will
>    GETMAIN ...
>    L    R2,BAR         Point to unique storage pointer
>    ST   R1,0(,R2)      Save my storage area for subsequent use
>do what the comments say it does?

No. But if PRVREG points to srage allocated with a length from a CXD, then

    GETMAIN ...
    L    R2,BAR          Point to unique offset
    ST   R1,0(PTVTRG,R2) Save my storage area for subsequent use

will do what the comments say it does. However, Don's suggestion (CEEPDDA
and CEEPLDA) is probably the best way to go.