This is not really about IBM mainframes. But it is, in a sense, about computing
in general. And, perhaps, why mainframes are viewed as archaic. This is a
slashdot article. The person appears to be asking a serious question. But, how
stupid should computer users be allowed to become?

http://ask.slashdot.org/story/10/03/01/132219/How-Do-You-Get-Users-To-Read-Error-Messages?art_pos=1

<quote>
"The longer I do desktop support, the more it becomes obvious that my users
don't read anything that appears on their screen. Instead, they memorize a
series of buttons to press to get whatever result they want and if anything
unexpected happens, they're completely lost. Error logs help a lot, but they
have their limits. I've been toying with a few ideas, but I don't know if any
of them will work and I was hoping my fellow Slashdotters could point me in the
right direction. For example, I was thinking about creating icons or logos to
identify specific errors. They might not remember that an error about
"uninitialized data" but they might be more able to remember that they got the
"puppy error" if I showed a puppy picture next to the error message. Or for
times when finding images is too time consuming, you could create simple logos
from letters, numbers, symbols, colors or shapes, so you could have the "red 5"
error or "blue square" error (or any combination of those elements). I've even
wondered if it would be possible to expand that to cover the other senses, for
example, playing a unique sound with the error. Unfortunately, haptic and
olfactory feedback aren't readily available. I like to think that my users
would remember the error that caused them to get a swift kick in the balls. And
if they forgot it anyhow, I could always help them reproduce it. Does anyone
else have experience with ideas like these? Did it work?"
</quote>

John McKown
Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)

(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell