that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

shmuel+ibm-m...@patriot.net (Shmuel Metz  , Seymour J.) writes:
> Wasn't VM/SP also an add-on to VMF/370 R6? I know for sure that MVS/SP was
> an addon to OS/VS2 3.8 + SU64 et al, and I vaguely recall that it wasn't
> until around ESA 4 that the free MVS base went away from the packaging.

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#43 What was old is new again (water
chilled)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010d.html#45 What was old is new again (water
chilled)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2010e.html#28 What was old is new again (water
chilled)

Melinda Varian's home page
http://www.princeton.edu/~melinda/

from her VM history document at above ("VM/SP becomes a new base with
all the sepp/bsepp stuff"):

At the same time, we started seeing the results of IBM's new
commitment to VM. VM System Product Release 1 came out late in
1980. VM/SP1 combined all the [B]SEPP function into the new base and
added an amazing collection of new function (amounting to more than
100,000 lines of new code): XEDIT, EXEC 2, IUCV, MIH, SUBCOM, MP
support, and more.

... snip ...

also from above:

VM/SP1 was just amazingly buggy. The first year of SP1 was simply
chaotic. The system had clearly been shipped before it was at all well
tested, but the new function was so alluring that customers put it
into production right away. So, CP was crashing all over the place;
CMS was destroying minidisks right and left; the new PUT process was
delaying the shipment of fixes; and tempers were flaring. When the
great toolmaker Jim Bergsten produced a T-shirt that warned
"VM/SP is waiting for you", his supply sold out immediately.

... snip ...

I still have the t-shirt.

somewhat related other old stuff