From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Robert Birdsall
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Mixed case to a CLIST from ISPF command line?

To help clarify (I hope),
The commands that ISPF recognized (TSO, SPLIT, etc.) are not coded in an ISPF program/load module somewhere - they are in a command table. You can modify the one included with ISPF, create your own, etc.

Typically in a panel definition the command line is defined with an _ (pre-
defined as in input field with CAPS(ON)), but that can be changed by a panel

developer. The ISPF panel i...@prim as shipped uses hex 26 for the command field, and defines it as 'TYPE(NEF) CAPS(ON) PADC(USER)'.
I changed it on my main menu so I can support lower case.  I did this, not
for TSO commands, but for my own ISPF commands which allow access to unix paths. To allow this, I changed the CAPS(ON) to CAPS(OFF), and added a command to uppercase a copy of the command ONLY for the purpose of selecting a menu option. This allows such things as selecting option X (exit) from the menu without regard to case. Note that commands in the command table do _not_ require this - that is, I have no special code to handle commands like 'TSO' - ISPF recognizes the command 'tso listalc' or 'TSO listalc' just fine. It also recognizes 'vw /.some_unix_file' where VW is defined in a command table and /.some_unix_file is a unix file name requireing lower case characters.

While I recognize that this cannot be done generically by the ISPF
developers for _every_ panel (specifically, the ones that they do not code), it would be nice if panel developers (all of them) would provide for lower case as it becomes more commonly required. The SDSF main menu does not react to my tinkering so kindly.

Hmm... I wonder if ISPF could consider the CAPS(ON) to only hold for data passed to the dialog itself. That is, ISPF could display and process the panel as if CAPS(OFF) were coded, but if the data in the field must be passed to the dialog, translate it to upper case. If so, my previous statement might not
hold.

Axios Products, Inc. supp...@axiosproducts.com 631-864-3666 x133