-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:ibm-m...@bama.ua.edu] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 3:59 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: z9 / z10 instruction speed(s)

There are multiple z9 "models". Each model has its own MSU rating, which
is=
 basically related to the number of CPs enabled and their "speed". Now,
I k=
now that all the CPs on all z9 run same hardware speed. So, I'm
wondering h=
ow they are "knee capped"? Now, I know that the "knee capping" is done
by l=
oading in a specific MCL. So, I'm thinking that this somehow does
something=
 like "inserts a wait state" during instruction processing. That is, the
XY=
Z instruction on all z9s run in the same amount of time. But there is
"some=
thing extra" done at the end of the XYZ instruction which causes a
"wait" b=
efore the next instruction is actually executed. Am I on the right
track? O=
r is it done is some other strange manner?
<SNIP>

>From somewhere in the hazy past, it had something to do with instruction
fetch. So while instruction fetch was being held up for n microcode
cycles, the pipe was being filled, effectively, with NOPR instructions.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- Opinions expressed by this poster may not reflect those of poster's
employer --