On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Edward Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com>wrote:

> Today's mainframe dynamic provisioning capabilities are truly leading-edge,
> and improving with each new generation.
>
> We can dynamically grow any DASD volume--on the fly--up to 226GB in size.
> We can download and dynamically apply a patch that makes our CPUs run
> faster, adds new CPUs, or both. Expect to see even more such capabilities in
> the future...
>
> People with PC-only experience are always astonished when I tell them about
> modern mainframe provisioning capabilities. They always assume when your
> hard drive fills up you need a new one or when your CPU is too slow you need
> a new one. What we do seems like magic to them.

You know *I* don't disagree with your position here, but there is a
disconnect -- distributed folks don't understand issues like "small" volumes
(226GB being smaller than the hard drive in my laptop), much less JCL. So
many/most of them *still* see the mainframe as slow, old, difficult,
crippled. That's something that needs to be rectified, but I'm ****ed if I
know how to do it.