Hey Scott,

Actually I thought it was quite appropriate of an analogy, just not what
George expected.  :-)

To George's assertion that capacity-based pricing doesn't make sense:

I DO pay more for gas for my SUV than I do for my smaller car (not per
gallon, but definitely per trip) - simply because I use more gas to get
from point A to point B.  And to an extent, it is based on capacity, not
just the fact that I'm going from A to B.  I pay more partly for the
capacity to take more people in one trip (i.e. the capacity is higher).
Do I always use that extra capacity?  No, but it is there when I want to
use it.  The bigger the capacity of the vehicle, the more I paid for it
up front, and the more I pay on an on-going basis to keep it running,
supported, and maintained.  That's different from the computer
kneecapping, how?

If knee-capped boxes weren't made available for smaller shops like mine,
we would have been off the mainframe years ago.  And capacity-based
pricing is a metric used across the board, not just by IBM on
mainframes.  Go and price out a windows server and see if you get an
8-way server for the same price as a one-way.  Or try to buy a 128 core
SUN server for the same price as a 2 core SUN workstation.  Or back to
your car analogy, why on earth would I pay for a 48 passenger commercial
bus to take my family of 4 to church Sunday morning?  You buy what you
need to get the job done, preferably without paying a bunch of extra
money for capacity and features you will never need.

Back to sitting on the sidelines watching the debate.  :-)

Rex