In <ofeec49b15.34ea1afd-on852576df.0039741b-852576df.003fb...@us.ibm.com>,
on 03/07/2010
   at 06:35 AM, Timothy Sipples <timothy.sipp...@us.ibm.com> said:

>There are, and very many.

You're not speaking the same language that he is.

>In my previous post it should be obvious that "smaller" means anybody
>with capacity below a hypothetical non-kneecapped 7-way System z9 BC.

Just as it should be obvious that Peter means something *much* smaller
than that, and that he is talking about envirnmentals and price, not just
CPU capacity.

>so again I have no idea where you're getting your information.

The problem isn't that your information differs, the problem is that your
nomenclature differs.

>Have mainframe technologies ever been more affordable? Heck no. (I've
>looked up a lot of historical prices.)

What was the historical price of a P/390?

>And it's long past time we stop
>perpetuating mainframe pricing myths, because it isn't helping anyone.

Neither is talking past each other. Perhaps it would be better to stop
using the adjective "small" and start using numbers, e.g., total hardware
price $50K.