On Monday 08 March 2010, Stephen Y Odo wrote:
> I've been trying to get Linux onto our z890 (even have CENTOS running
> in an LPAR as a proof-of-concept)

        What version of CentOS, and where did you find an installation
image? I looked around for one a year or so ago, but couldn't find one
that wasn't years out of date.

        iirc, the CentOS folks used to maintain regular builds for
390/System z, but seem to have stopped some time ago. I guess there
aren't any mainframers active in the CentOS project anymore. (Sad to
say, that sort of thing is symptomatic of moribundity in a platform.)

> but our management has decreed that all future development will be
> Solaris/SPARC or Linux/Intel.

        Why no Solaris/Intel option?

--
Bob Woodside