________________________________
From: Dave Barry <dba...@ups.com>
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Sent: Wed, March 10, 2010 2:22:06 PM
Subject: Re: LPARs: More or Less?

Reminds me of arguments I heard in the 1980s like, "I can do more work on a
3081 running two VS1 machines under VM than you can on your 3084-Q running
under MVS.

---SNIP__________

I can not imagine this argument could ever be given with VS1. With SAMe MVS was
warp:) fast.

Seriously I did a conversion from VS1 to MVS and the work was done in 3 hours
less than VS1. This mind you was on a 4341 with 4 meg of memory (later upgraded
to 8). Our production crew couldn't believe how fast MVS was over VS1 . They
had 5 or 5 people going over every sysout to see what the difference was (I
mean output). They just could not find anything and everything balanced to the
penny and options traded.

The jobs literally flew pass the operators and they could not keep up with the
job flow. The other item that our IBM CE loved was that we chose random tape
assignment. The 380 drive that used to break down once a night was not used any
where close to the same amount. The operators hated it as they used to be able
to figure out in what order the drives were going to be mounted and pre mount
them.

Ed